In a recent and noteworthy update, the Prime Minister of India has successfully distributed the eighth installment of monetary aid through the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) scheme. This initiative has gained prominence for its consistent effort to provide financial support directly to farmers across the nation.
The Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) is central sector scheme launched by the government of India, that is designed to extend income support to farmers as well as their families. The origins of the PM-KISAN can be traced back to the Rythu Bandhu scheme initiated by the Government of Telangana, in which the eligible farmers were directly provided with a specific amount of financial assistance. Subsequently, on 1 February 2019, during the Interim Union Budget of India for 2019, Piyush Goyal announced the elevation of this initiative into a nationwide endeavour.
On February 24, 2019, in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the scheme. It provides an annual income support of Rs. 6,000, distributed in three installments directly to the beneficiaries’ bank accounts. This initiative aims to give vital financial aid to farmers and improve their financial well-being by skipping intermediaries. Importantly, the Union Government will fund the expected total annual cost of Rs. 75,000 crore for this program.
History of PM KISAN Scheme
The Government of Telangana initially came up with and put into action the innovative agricultural support initiative, the Rythu Bandhu scheme. This forward-thinking program includes giving a specific amount of money directly to eligible farmers. It’s important to mention that this scheme received praise from prominent economists, including the World Bank.
Many economic experts have supported the investment-focused approach of this scheme, emphasizing its superiority over traditional farm loan waivers. This preference is because farmers receive direct financial aid, allowing them to make essential investments in their farming activities.
Recognizing the efficacy of the Rythu Bandhu scheme, the Government of India adopted it as a pan-India project. In the fiscal year 2018-2019, a substantial allocation of Rs. 20,000 crores was designated for the implementation of this scheme. Building upon this success, the scheme underwent further enhancements in the subsequent fiscal year, 2019-2020. This expansion aimed to extend its benefits to an additional 2 crore farmers, thus encompassing a total of approximately 14.5 crore beneficiaries. To facilitate this broader coverage, the Central Government allocated a substantial budget of Rs. 87,217.50 crores.
In essence, the Rythu Bandhu scheme serves as a testament to the positive outcomes that can emerge when employing innovative and targeted agricultural support strategies. Its evolution from a regional initiative to a nationwide endeavor underscores its significance in fostering agricultural growth and rural welfare.
Objectives of the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana (PM-KISAN) scheme
The Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Yojana, formulated and executed as a central sector scheme by the Government of India, serves as a strategic initiative aimed at enhancing the income sources of numerous small and marginal farmers across the nation. The main aim and objective of the PM-KISAN scheme encompass the following:
The primary objective of the PM-KISAN scheme is to extend income support to all eligible land-owning farmers and their families. Beyond income augmentation, the scheme also encompasses the intention of assisting farmers in meeting their financial requirements for acquiring various agricultural inputs. These inputs are vital for ensuring optimal crop health and achieving satisfactory yields that align with the projected farm income.
With a strategic vision to enhance its impact, the PM-KISAN scheme is poised to broaden its reach to approximately 14.5 crore beneficiaries. This expansion entails encompassing an additional 2 crore farmers, thus manifesting the government’s commitment to inclusivity and equitable distribution of benefits. The financial outlay to realize this objective is estimated at Rs. 87,217.50 crores, a sum that will be allocated by the Central Government to fuel the initiative’s implementation and progression.
In essence, the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana (PM-KISAN) scheme not only addresses the immediate financial needs of farmers and their families but also aspires to optimize agricultural practices and elevate the socio-economic status of rural communities through sustainable agricultural growth.
Eligibility to avail benefits under Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana (PM-KISAN)
For an individual to be eligible for the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana (PM-KISAN), they must meet the criteria outlined below –
- This scheme is open to all landholding farmers.
- However, to qualify, neither the applicants nor any of their family members should have paid taxes in the preceding assessment year.
- The land designated for agricultural use must be exclusively employed for farming activities.
- Additionally, candidates seeking benefits must meet the criteria of being classified as marginal or small-scale farmers.
The Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana (PM-KISAN) excludes certain individuals and categories from its benefits. These categories include:
- Institutional land-holders.
- Farmers or their family members fall under the following groups:
- Constitutional Positions: This pertains to individuals who have held significant constitutional positions, either in the past or presently.
- Ministers/State Ministers: Both past and present Ministers and State Ministers are encompassed in this group.
- Members of Legislative Bodies: People who were previously or are currently members of Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, State Legislative Assemblies, and State Legislative Councils fall into this category.
- Mayors: This includes both former and current Mayors of Municipal Corporations.
- District Panchayat Chairpersons: Include those who have served or are currently serving as Chairpersons of District Panchayats.
- Government Officers and Employees: This includes people who are currently working or have retired from Central or State Government Ministries, Offices, and Departments.
- Pensioners: The mentioned categories cover retired individuals who receive a monthly pension of Rs. 10,000 or more.
- Income Tax Payers: We take into account individuals who paid income tax in the last assessment year.
- Professionals: This includes professionals such as Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers, Chartered Accountants, and Architects. These professionals must be registered with their respective professional bodies and actively involved in their practice.
Farmers eligible under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan scheme must provide the following documents for verification:
- Citizenship certificate
- Landholding documents
- Aadhaar card
- Bank account particulars
How to apply for Padhan mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yoajan (PM-KISAN)
Here are the steps for the online application to the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana 2022:
- Visit the Official Website: Initiate the process by visiting the official website of the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana Scheme at www.pmkisan.gov.in.
- Navigate to Farmer Option: On the homepage, locate and click on the “Farmer” option.
- Choose New Farmer Registration: A subsequent page will open; click on the “New Farmer Registration” option.
- Complete Registration Form: Fill out the provided registration form on your computer screen. Include all necessary details and upload required document images, such as your Aadhar number, phone number, and personal particulars.
Click the “Submit” button after filling the form meticulously.
- Confirmation and Printout: Once you click the submit button, your registration form will be successfully sent. Then, you can get a printout of the submitted form at a nearby cyber cafe to keep a record.
By following these steps, you can easily apply online for the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana 2023 and secure the benefits it provides.
How one can check the status of their registration
- Start by visiting the pmkisan.gov.in and then click on the farmer section in the menu.
- Next, access the ‘Status of Self Registered/CSC Farmers’ feature.
- Proceed to choose your state of origin, followed by selecting your district, sub-district (Tehsil), block, and village from the options available.
- Enter your Aadhaar Number along with the captcha code, then click the Search button.
- Upon completion, beneficiaries can view their own name as well as review the names of other registered farmers.
Advantages of Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana (PM-KISAN)
Here are the advantages and the significant impact of the PM-KISAN scheme elaborated:
Direct Fund Transfer – A key advantage of the scheme is the direct transfer of money to the beneficiaries. Importantly, on December 25, 2020, this efficient process made news by depositing a substantial amount of Rs. 18,000 crores into the bank accounts of 9 crore farmers. Consequently, it ensures that financial aid is delivered rapidly and with great efficiency.
Digital Registration – The adoption of a digital platform for official farmer records has been a transformational step. Furthermore, this transition to digitalization not only simplifies the registration process but also revitalizes the welfare program. This leads to improved accountability and transparency.
Liquidity Relief for Farmers – By offering direct financial support, the PM-KISAN scheme effectively alleviates liquidity constraints faced by farmers. This financial assistance comes in handy during critical periods, supporting farmers in their agricultural pursuits.
Agricultural Modernization – The PM-KISAN yojana holds strategic importance in the government’s efforts to modernize agriculture. By directly addressing farmers’ financial needs, the scheme contributes to facilitating the adoption of modern agricultural practices. Consequently, this enhances productivity.
Equitable Beneficiary Selection – The PM-KISAN scheme features an inclusive characteristic in its impartial selection process for beneficiaries. Consequently, this approach ensures that deserving farmers from diverse categories and backgrounds can access the benefits, effectively mitigating any form of discrimination.
Conclusion for Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana (PM-KISAN)
The Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana (PM-KISAN) emerges as a transformative initiative aimed at uplifting the lives of India’s agricultural community. This is a bold initiative by the Government of India, focusing on the direct transfer of financial aid to eligible farmers throughout the country.
Taking inspiration from Telangana’s Rythu Bandhu scheme, PM-KISAN emphasizes investment-driven support over traditional farm loan waivers. This approach empowers farmers to make informed investments in their agricultural endeavors, fostering sustainable growth and development. Additionally, PM-KISAN leverages technology to streamline fund distribution, ensuring tangible benefits that boost agricultural growth and enhance economic well-being for farmers.
PM-KISAN exemplifies progressive policy-making by emphasizing targeted financial assistance and investment-driven support for India’s farming community. Furthermore, as the program continues to grow, it has the potential to make a lasting impact on the lives of farmers and contribute to the country’s socio-economic advancement through agricultural development.